Friday, April 4, 2008

Home tourney preview

Playing in a home tournament tonight, that is semi-regular. It's my first time playing in it and it is supposed to have players of wildly different skill levels. What I like about it is that it is a cheap entry and they allow 2 rebuys, so I plan to mix up my play. Usually I play cautiously, with bouts of aggression at selected opportunities. Basically, I try to get myself in good spots and hit them hard, then stay out of the fray when uber-aggressive and uber-tight guys make plays into pots, unless I have a hand worthy of mixing it up or I'm really priced in. I pride myself on my patience ordinarily and making good reads on my opponents and dictating my play based on how the table is playing. However, tonight, with the 2 rebuys in my pocket, I plan to play very aggressively from position even so far as becoming one of those uber-aggressive guys, represent hands early and often and chase down some draws where I would ordinarily muck. In short, get out of my comfort zone and play as if I'm at a single table satellite type event, where early chip-gathering is a must. I think there will be about 25-30 people at this thing so it will be important for me to identify early on the better players so not to attempt bluffs on the more inexperienced players who will call down everything with top or second pair. We'll see how my adaption to a new style fits and whether or not I'm suited to such a style of play.

No comments: