Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I Put $900 On The 5th Horse, In The 6th Race

A little post-Kentucky Derby perspective and analysis. First off, I had keyed Big Brown at the top of my bets. His trainer, Dutrow, often only enters horses he believes will win races. A few years ago he entered a horse called Connie's Magic in two races only three or four days apart at Belmont and won both. So when I heard him talking about all the money their stable was going to be laying on BB, added to his past performances, I was sold.

Unfortunately, I had planned on a quicker pace, something that would benefit the closers and allow them to get up to fill out the exotics. The first quarter of 23 1/5 was nowhere near the speed duels of past years, when either rabbits or overmatched horses figured their only shot was to get out in front and try to hold up. This pace scenario played perfectly into a stalker's situation and Big Brown was properly situated near the lead the entire race and showed himself the best around the turn and down the stretch. Unfortunately for me, the closers that I had filled out underneath Big Brown - Colonel John, Visionaire, Court Vision and Pyro - never got the trip, the ride or the pace they needed and left me with a handful of losing tickets.

Big Brown looks to be for real and I fully expect to see him in person at Belmont gunning for the Triple Crown in June.

1 comment:

C.S. said...

Good horse.
Bad name.