Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Of Mice and Men

Well, my rebuy tournament didn't go as I planned. It went so poorly, in fact, that I can recap it in only a few sentences. Basically, I caught a brutal table draw of good players and add in 3 wild card players who redefined the term loose and it became a terror zone. Any pot entered was likely to become a decision for my stack after one of the wild guys tripled up and then subsequently doubled up again. He politely donated back to a few strong players around me but I had dreck to look at. He then busted me twice in quick order when I got it in with A,J against his 8,8 (8s played well for him in the time I was there) and then when I had As10s against his A4 off. An ace flopped for both of us and gave me a four flush to the nuts. Unfortunately, he turned a non-spade 4 to best me again and that was that. Barely played any hands, didn't make it out of the 3rd level, even with 2 rebuys.

Moving on to a more successful tale, I have run well in cash games for a couple weeks and had hands hold up in big pots. K,K in multi way action and no ace hit the board, a set faded a straight draw, top pairs have been good for small/medium pots. Only time I can remember even throwing a moderately bad beat on a guy was when I had K,J and the flop came K, 8, 4. I bet at it the whole way and the board threw a J on the river for me, which was enough to best a guy's 4, 8 two pair flop.

One hand that I lost for a decent amount is one that I question if there is any way to avoid losing the amount I did. I'll put it out there and see what everyone thinks. Preflop, I raised to $10 and was called by 2 players when I held AhQh. The flop came with an ace and one heart. I felt I was likely ahead and had just accumulated a few big pots so decided to mix up my play since my opponents were both playing a bit tight. I checked-called the flop for $15 with one of the players dropping out. Turn brought me the nut flush draw to go with my aces. I check-raised a $20 bet to $60 and was then set all in by my opponent for an additional $65 or so, an opponent who, again, was playing tight previously. I called and she had flopped a set of 7s. Now, I don't think that there probably would have been any way I could avoid doubling her up (I missed my flush on the river) since I'm not going anywhere on the flop or the turn unless she raises me out of the pot (likely on the flop) for some reason, but I have been running through various scenarios that might have allowed me to perhaps make a big laydown. I'm not saying that I believe that I could have or should have done it, as I had her easily covered at the time but am just speculating and wondering if there is any way that hand could have played out to allow me to scram.

Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Southpawrounder said...

I think this is an example of you almost trying to hard to find a way to play a hand b/c the end result was not good if that makes sense. Given her stack size once the turn gave you the flush draw to go along w/ Top pair queen kicker I really think you would have misplayed the hand if you didn't find away to get all the money in on the turn. In my opinion you need to be careful not to over analyze hands also are you will be changing the way you are playing hands like this and costing yourself value more often than not. The one thing I would have done is bet the turn into the player more than happy to have her raise me on the turn. That is not to say I think you played it badly it is just a different way to play the hand. If my hand is strong I generally like to bet back into people when they show strength. Just me though.

CC said...

Rounder, you are correct, I am just speculating on stuff in this post more than anything else. The question is more hypothetical for anyone to talk about - could you ever see yourself getting away from such a hand, in any instance? Even if you have to make up fake (but still reasonable) betting scenarios?

I never thought about folding it, was just thinking if anyone would and how they would come to that conclusion. The only instance I could think up would have been if I had check raised the flop and then been re-raised, I might have given pause and thought about A,K or a set. Since this was prior to having the flush draw, maybe. As it was, she was playing very snug so just the fact that she was undaunted by the A on the flop meant she had at least that with a good kicker. When the turn came I was hooked for good, having a decent chunk of money already in and the good draw. I didn't bet at her on the turn b/c with the aces and the nut draw, I figured if she had something like A,J or similarly, A,Q, a bet might scare her off without extracting any more money.

the"Honest"player said...

ok now we have a little more to break down...i agree with rounder just as u do, but i don't agree with one particular thing in your response to rounder. You said "didn't bet at her on the turn b/c u didn't want to scare off a weaker ace and wanted to extract more money"...i don't agree with the play and that statement. If the goal is extract more money then by checking you ultimately would lose a bet if she checks (which wouldn't be a bad play for an AJ). You raised preflop and check called the flop from a player that you said was playing tight. I don't think you scare her with a stop and go right there, infact..if u ever want a way to get away from that hand and not sure if you're behind, betting into her right there would allow this. You bet around $45 and she raises, you can confidently know that your prolly behind but there is no hand you can't catch up to right there and you should prolly quit poker if you fold based on the stack size....you said yourself you were hooked for good on the turn, so if you're willing to get it all in when you see the turn then BET...then you don't have to "hope" she bets for you, build your own pot. If anything you got cute on the flop and luckily just didn't give a free card for her to pass u up on the turn...that's why i hate the check raise in general, doesn't give u any extra information and you have to depend on the other player too much....i hope this makes sense

CC said...

Good points, and I agree with you. Especially about giving up poker if I had folded. I never considered it, fyi, just like to analyze situations like this from all angles, even if there is absolutely no other way things could have gone.

I do appreciate all comments, both positive and negative about my play since I am fairly new to cash games and only just recently started playing them more than a couple times a year. So please feel free to critique my play, I like the feedback from players with different styles than my own, and from more experienced players (which is almost everyone).