Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cash Rules Everything Around Me

My regular cash game resumed after a several week summer hiatus and I pulled in a modest win, about 3/4 of a buy-in. It was one of those nights where I couldn't get in a normal pot so I had a somewhat interesting go of it. Early on, I landed two sets of 9s against the same player and more than doubled up, then ran wired jacks into wired aces on a 10 high flop and gave a bunch back. Flopped trip fives holding A5 off against KQ on a Q,5,5 flop only to have the river whitewash me with a two-outer Q to give my opponent the pot. Then a card dead period gave me a nice long stretch to keep an eye on the baseball game on the nearby television and grind my stack down to its starting point. A set of queens on a flush and straight draw-heavy flop (3rd time against the same player, who was a little shell shocked when I showed him, somewhat sheepishly, after he had folded) paid me modestly and then my biggest pot of the night came along. Under the gun in a straddled pot (1/2 NL) I look down at A,A and knowing that one of the next nine players is sure to raise the straddle, just limp. I get my wish immediately as the player to my left makes a tiny raise to 10. If asked, I couldn't have wanted anything more, since he is indicating a big hand with such a light raise and if anyone else peeks down at an interesting holding, they might pop it up again before it gets back to me. No such luck on that front, but two players do call the raise to 10 and it's my turn to act and I bump it to 55. Player to my left calls, the other two players clear way. Flop is perfect for me, 10 high rainbow. I lead out about 2/3 of the pot, $80 and my opponent shoves all in. I immediately call and he looks at me and says "Please don't turn over aces." I do, they hold against his K,K and I'm back to over double my buy in.

The hiatus of several weeks in this game has really shown me how familiarity with players in a regular game can be both good and bad. Not only do you have to know the ins and outs of the players and be wary of the deviation in their play based upon previously conceived notions of their moves, but the familiarity breeds a certain amount of complacency. I have more than a few times found my mind wandering instead of keeping track of preflop action or getting involved in lengthy conversations that distract from perhaps gleaning a little more information from my opponents. I'm not even talking about tells or betting patterns, but just certain styles of play from good, winning players that I could benefit from watching more closely and emulating.

It is nice to be back in the cash game though.

No comments: